Published on February 27th, 2017 | by Steve Nicklin0
Educating Ad Agencies About OOH – Real. Powerful. Advertising.
In case you haven’t seen this week’s issue of Outlook, it reviews the OAAA ad agency outreach program designed to showcase the vast capabilities of the OOH medium in a 30-minute presentation, and is now entering its fifth year. The complete newsletter details all agencies visited since 2013, and shares the markets planned for 2017.
The agency presentations delivered in 2016 continued to build impact with the agency community because:
- OAAA’s commissioned OOH research is deeper and broader than ever before, providing meaningful insights to agencies
- growth of the OOH digital platform is providing more flexible and immediate ad solutions
- convergence of OOH with mobile devices and advertising is deepening consumer experiences
The 2016 Nielsen OOH advertising study examined the broadest number of OOH formats to date, and demonstrated how OOH supports digital and mobile marketing efforts, in particular. Agency planners are genuinely appreciative of the OOH educational outreach that keeps them informed for their clients, and demonstrates how OOH can increase the effectiveness of their media plans.
Key messages that resonate the best with agencies:
- The ad spend growth of OOH, in contrast to other traditional media
- The amplification power of OOH when added to a media plan
- OOH is not content-based, so not susceptible to audience fragmentation of competing media
Presentation components of top interest to the agencies:
- OOH executions – Delta Dental of Minneapolis case study results, Zappos airport luggage carousel prize game (both are static)
- Campaigns showcased in videos – Samsung NFC, Clorox multi-format in Las Vegas, Shellback Rum geo-fencing tutorial, GMC facial recognition
- ROI/case studies – almost every creative example in the presentation incorporates results produced by the OOH campaigns
- OOH Creative Testing Tool – the planners understand the enormous importance creative plays in making their media plans successful
- OOH Media Locator – allows quick understanding of the opportunities existing in specific markets
OOH embraces change and responds to needs of the ad agency industry
- Standardization (RFPs, POP, photos) – OAAA best business practices
- One stop shop (planning, buying components in one place) – many OAAA member companies offer integrated platforms
- ROI/enhanced data metrics – Geopath Operation MORE (2017) and OAAA/Benchmarketing ROI research study (Spring 2017)
New Resources for Ad Agencies
- The OOH Media Locator was launched in April 2016 to provide agencies a quick overview of OOH formats available in specific geographies by media company. This is an especially valuable tool when agencies are creating plans for markets they are not familiar with. The Locator has already generated over 13,000 uses.
- SQAD OOH planning rates – by the end of March, agency planners will have access to market average planning rates for Geopath-measured formats within the billboard and street furniture categories in the top 100 DMAs and CBSAs. This new program will make OOH planning rate data readily accessible alongside local TV, cable, radio, and digital media. It will allow OOH to be considered in even more agency media plans. Mark your calendar for the OAAA member webinar on the SQAD OOH program, March 22, 2 pm.
- The Creative Testing Tool, which has now reached over 28,000 uses, is being redesigned to incorporate more formats including transit, airport, and shopping malls, plus a rural environmental view. New features like drag-and-drop will make it even more user-friendly. The updated version of the Tool will launch in March.
Download the OOH Capabilities Presentation
You have instant access to download the OOH Capabilities presentation. The presentation is updated throughout the year, and this link takes you to the website page with the latest version, videos, and resources.
5 Easy Steps to Leverage Agency Outreach
Based on cumulative agency feedback, here are five suggestions for maximizing business with your agency clients.
- Download the OOH Capabilities presentation and study the content – all of the presentation liner notes are included. It’s important you have the latest OOH research and resources, and know what’s being presented to your agency clients. Supplement this with your sales team by ensuring they know about the OOH Resource Center sales app (app available through Apple App Store and Google Play), or access the desktop version.
- Follow up in a timely manner with all agencies visited by OAAA in your market.
- Ensure all clients, not just agencies, know about the OOH Creative Testing Tool, the OAAA creative library, and the OBIE Awards website to enhance their creative product. With thousands of campaigns that can be searched by product category or advertiser, the creative library is both a great idea generator, and a view of the competitive landscape.
- Be a consultant. Feed your agency relevant case studies, success stories, and creative ideas. Provide customized, relevant content. One sheets and summaries will be most well-received, and they demonstrate you understand the value of their time. Don’t do a data dump, instead provide resources tailored to their needs.
- Deliver on your promises and commitments. Ensure campaigns are executed on time and professionally, plus make sure POP materials are delivered promptly.
If your market is on our 2017 list, and you have an agency you’d like to see the OOH Capabilities presentation, please contact Steve Nicklin at firstname.lastname@example.org or 202-833-5566.