Published on April 12th, 2022 | by Steve Nicklin0
Sales Tip: OOH Finishes 2021 Up Almost 17%
OOH advertising spend increased 16.7 percent over 2020, ending with an extraordinarily strong fourth quarter that generated 37.4 percent growth. Total year 2021 OOH spend was $7.1 billion, led by digital OOH with the segment jumping 22.7 percent compared to 2020. Fourth quarter DOOH grew 49.6 percent over the same period the previous year.
OAAA members can access the 2021 OOH Facts & Figures report here. It provides valuable insights on OOH opportunities and prospecting strategies, such as identifying competing media channels with greater share than OOH in local markets, and understanding key ad spend months for all product categories. The report examines:
- OOH performance by category format
- Annual OOH ad spend since 2009
- Top ten industry product categories for OOH spend
- Top OOH advertisers and parent companies, including the MegaBrands report
- OOH advertiser spend increase over 2020 by both dollars and percentage
- Rank order of markets by total local media spend and spend by medium
- OOH spend rank order of all markets by spend and share of local media
- Industry product category total media spend by medium and by month
- OOH share of total core media
- 2021 ad spend performance by medium and 2022 projections
In 2021, all top ten industry product categories increased and eight grew double digits, including Local Services & Amusements, Retail, Media & Advertising, Insurance & Real Estate, Restaurants, Government Politics and Organizations, Financial, and Automotive Dealers and Services.
Reflecting the overall strength of OOH, the largest category, Local Services and Amusements, which represents over 25 percent of total OOH spend, increased by 20.9 percent, second only in growth to the Media and Advertising category increase of 21.3 percent.
Ranked in order of OOH spending, the top 10 advertisers in 2021 were McDonald’s, Apple, Geico, Amazon, American Express, Coca-Cola, Allstate, Google, Walt Disney Pictures, and HBO.
- 79% of the top 100 OOH advertisers increased their OOH spend from 2020
- 28% of the top 100 OOH advertisers more than doubled their spend including (ranked in order of percentage increase): Credit Karma, Webull, Molson, William Hill, Cartier, Curative, ClickUp, Capital One, Postmates, DoorDash, Chrysler, BetMGM, Boston Beer, Constellation Brands, DuckDuckGo, UnitedHealthcare, Uber, At Home, FanDuel, LVMH, AT&T, Brown-Forman, Audible, Chevron, FX, Walt Disney Pictures, Expensify, and GrubHub
- 28% of the top 100 OOH spenders were technology or direct-to-consumer brands including: Amazon, Apple, AT&T, Audible, BetMGM, ClickUp, Comcast, Cox, Credit Karma, Curative, DoorDash, DraftKings, DuckDuckGo, Expensify, Facebook, FanDuel, Google, GrubHub, Hulu, Netflix, PayPal, Postmates, Samsung, T-Mobile, Uber, Verizon, Webull, and William Hill
MAGNA, a division of IPG, reports OOH was the second fastest growing ad channel in 2021, outperforming all media channels except digital. For 2022, MAGNA projects an 11 percent growth rate for OOH, once again outperforming all traditional media.
Source: Kanter, MAGNA, OAAA